Home New Companies and Company Officers Change of name: Pty ltd company

Change of name: Pty ltd company

To change its name a Proprietary Limited company MUST either:

  1. have ALL shareholders (including both parties where joint holdings) sign a Circulating Resolution in favour of the name change [section 249A(2) of Corporations Act]

Note: this option is ONLY available to Pty Ltd companies – not public companies unless there is only one shareholder [sec 249B(1)]


  • hold an Extraordinary General Meeting and pass a Special Resolution [sec 157(1)(A)].

In my opinion, alternative “a” is impractical when there are a large number of shareholders.

Therefore, we will need to call an EGM. A Special Resolution requires at least 75% of all votes cast at the meeting.

Under the Corporations Act [sec 249H(1)] 21 days’ clear notice is required for the EGM unless we receive written consent from shareholders with at least 95% of the voting power for lesser notice period [sec 249H(2)(b)]. Again, in the circumstances, I do not think it is worth the effort for short notice.

Therefore, to enable the Board to consider the next move, I have drafted the attached documents for your consideration:

  • Circulating Directors’ Resolution
  • EGM Notice
  • Proxy Form

And to progress this matter requires us to now proceed as follows:

  1. Decide on the new name, select the EGM date and insert in the Notice.
  • If we think there is a danger of someone else grabbing the name before us once the Notice goes out, we should lodge a Reservation with ASIC (Form 410) now.
  • Draft a suitable Letter to Shareholders (to explain things – and perhaps also give a brief update/overview as to where the Company is at/headed, particularly as we do not need to send out an Annual Report and/or hold an AGM because we are a Pty Ltd company).
  • Circulate the Directors’ Resolution (or, hold a formal Board Meeting) for Directors to formally agree and recommend the proposal to shareholders, approve the calling of an EGM and the Notice of Meeting/Proxy Form.
  • Print and post the Letter and Notice/Proxy to shareholders.
  • Hold EGM.
  • Lodge Form 205 with ASIC and pay the appropriate fee.
  • ASIC issues a replacement “Certificate of Registration on Change of Name”. This is the date the new name takes effect.

Please let me know how you wish to proceed.

*Originally written by Company Secretary, an Australian virtual company secretary service.

Most Popular

History of Prenuptial Agreements

Today, we hear of celebrities marrying and all we talk about is the prenuptial agreement that they may have signed prior to...

Everything That You Need to Know About Binding Financial Agreements in Australia

It is a fact of life that married life is not all about sunshine and rainbows. In the unfortunate event that couples...

How to Complete a Binding Financial Agreement in Australia

Ask anyone who has gone through a divorce, and they will tell you that it can be a pain. Talking to lawyers...

Why You Shouldn’t Get Married Without a Binding Financial Agreement

Almost everyone wants to get married at one point or another. At the very least, living with someone and creating a family...

Recent Comments