HomeCompany ArticlesNew Companies and Company OfficersCompany secretaries – working in Australia

Company secretaries – working in Australia

You have asked my opinion on employing Mr Singh from India as Company Secretary.

A foreign trained Company Secretary can work and practice in Australia, subject to being granted an appropriate visa, but would be greatly assisted by having appropriate qualifications/skills, knowledge and experience in areas such as:

  • company secretarial practice
  • Australian commerce and business
  • Corporations Act
  • ASX Listing Rules.

In particular, it would assist if he holds membership of The Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators – which is London, UK based but has branches around the world – or, in this case, The Institute of Company Secretaries of India.

As I understand it an appropriately qualified foreign Company Secretary should generally have no difficulty in meeting the visa/migration qualifications.

Visa Requirements

The Department of Immigration provides the following guidance on qualifying for a work visa in Australia under Australian Skills Recognition Information (ASRI) – web-site ref: http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupations/c/company-secretary-1212-11.htm

Job Description

Plans, administers and reviews corporate compliance activities and effective practice concerning company board meetings and shareholdings.

Skill Level

The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.

Note: If you are seeking a skills assessment for skilled migration purposes, different skill level requirements may apply. For information on skills assessment, see the relevant skills assessing authority below.

Skilled Occupation Information

Points awarded for General Skilled Migration purposes are shown in the table below.

The table also shows if this occupation is on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL), part of the Employer Nomination Scheme and on the Migration Occupations in Demand List (MODL).









For further details see: Points, SOL, ENSOL, MODL on the web-site. Skills Assessment Authority

Before you can migrate to Australia as a skilled migrant you must have your skills assessed by the relevant national assessment authority. The assessment authority for your occupation is:

Vocational Education and Training Assessment Services (VETASSESS)

VETASSESS is the authority in Australia responsible for assessing this occupation for the purposes of skilled migration.

Factors which are taken into account in assessments include the education system of the country concerned, the awarding institution, and the level, structure, length and content of the program of study undertaken.

This occupation may also require you to obtain licensing and registration from the relevant professional body before you can practise your occupation in Australia.

For more information about having your qualification assessed contact VETASSESS:

Vocational Education and Training Assessment Services GPO Box 2752 Melbourne Vic 3001 Australia Telephone: 61 3 9655 4801 Fax: 61 3 9654 3385 Email: [email protected]

Website: http://www.vetassess.com.au

Licensing or Registration Requirements

In many occupations you must be registered with or obtain a license from a local authority in the state or territory where you wish to practise your occupation. Select from the state links to find out details of the local authority in your state.

Duties and responsibilities of a specific occupation carry different licensing requirements. Select from the state links to find out details of which licenses are required to practice in your state.

Additional Training

You may require additional training in Australia before you can get your skills recognised, licensed or registered. For more information contact the relevant state or territory licensing or registration body listed above. You can also check with the Overseas Qualifications Unit of the Department of immigration in your state or territory.

Industry Association Memberships

You may benefit from becoming a member of a relevant industry association for your occupation, which is Chartered Secretaries Australia (CSA) with branches in all states. This could help you with your employment prospects, networking, contact with industry and professional development and may provide you with important information and support.

Contact CSA through:

Chartered Secretaries Australia

Level 10, 5 Hunter Street Sydney NSW 2000 Australia

Telephone: 61 2 9223 5666 Fax: 61 2 9232 7174

Email: [email protected] Website: http://www.csaust.com

*Originally written by Company Secretary, an Australian virtual company secretary service.

- Advertisement - spot_img